Jokode offers coding for young people in asylum centers. This give hope and meaning full live for asylum seekers and increase their quality of life experience whiles in the asylum centers. It also helps to stabilises their physical and mental health in coping with an unstable and difficult life situation. Coding is an important skill now that we live at a time with computers everywhere, and it is important that the next generation to learn this if they are not only going to be passive consumers but also users and manufacturers. On this programme, participants learn how to get started. They do not need to be familiar with programming from before. We show them how to start and learn more to become a developer, creator or innovator.
Refugees needs are diverse and successful integration and a harmonious society requires action at different stages of refugee life. Language barriers, cultural shock, psychological strain, legal uncertainty are often urgent obstacles to be tackled. JOKODE sees the importance of contributions on each level and believes coding can facilitate many processes.
Objective of the project
- Integration and cohesion with local communities and society as a whole
- To create a code club at the reception for the target group where the fun of coding and integration is the goal.
- Give the young refugees the opportunity to excel
- Create activity that leads to better physical and mental health for the young refugees in the Asylum Centers.
- Develop relationship between the young refugees in the Asylum Centers and local community in which they live.
- Increase the perception of self-worth during waiting time of the Asylum Centers.
- Provide a local community network for young refugees in the Asylum Centers that facilitate the experience of integration at settlement.
- Networking and partnerships with organizations, NGOs, private and public sector, government, institutions and individuals.